Monday, February 25, 2008

Background of this blog

1. Why is this blog called dole2obama?



I got the idea for this blog from Amina because she encouraged me to write down my political thoughts and predictions. I would sit at home, obsessively watching political coverage and remark, "I bet I am the only young person (31) who voted for Bob Dole in 1996 and changed their voter registration to vote for Obama in 08. This blog will be my thoughts and ideas on the race as it unfolds. I now have a much more constructive outlet than calling my brother or dad up in the middle of the day to talk about the latest news on drudge or what Chris Matthews had to say last night.

2. Why are you voting for Obama?

I am voting for Obama for the following reasons:
1. Iraq
He opposed this war from the start and deserves credit and respect for this unpopular (at the time) stance. He has shown wisdom and foresight in this regard. On a personal note, I was all for this war, way back in 2002, and after six years, feel that we have accomplished little in Iraq.
2. Change
I know that this idea of "change" has become so cliche that even Hillary is now mocking me, which means it must be testing well in focus groups. However, we need new blood in Washington, new ideas, new thoughts and a new perspective.
3. Post-racial politics
Obama did not run as the "black candidate". He ran as a Democrat who happened to be black. For this country to move past our racial problems we need a new generation of leaders who do not race bait or blame others but who are a living example of what you can accomplish in America through hard work.

8 Comments:

At February 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Garrett said...

Great Blog Matt, look forward to reading the entries!

 
At February 25, 2008 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Finally, the musings of the political guru can be enjoyed by all.
At least I won't be the only one listening to your political rants anymore.
I am so proud of you.
Love,
Amina

 
At February 25, 2008 at 9:00 PM , Blogger bob riley said...

Great, great comentary! I only wish I knew how to comment so I could have been the first one.

 
At February 25, 2008 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Grandma Dee said...

This is a test. D

 
At February 25, 2008 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Grandma Dee said...

This is a second test. D

 
At February 25, 2008 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Grandma Dee said...

First of all, I typed out the longest (5 paragraph) comment I have ever written and it would not let me post or get into your blog. I have been doing this for 10 minutes now. Anywayyyyyy.
Matt, hopefully this will post. You are awesome. I think it is great that you are doing this blog. You were for Obama before it was "cool." You are so on fire for him that it inspired me for the first time to get really involved both in his campaign and in learning more about what he believes in.
I am encouraged that he is looking to unite the country in common causes that reach across the aisles. Hillary accuses him of being full of empty dreams. I think that she is full of empty words and politics borrowed from her husband. Her behavior throughout the campaign has been reprehensible, if not schizophrenic. And, the campaign for the "first couple" is fraught with Bill's and her tantrums and rants. Not the type of president of the United States I want. Obama is wise, patient, a gentleman, and intelligent. What he lacks in experience, and I question that he lacks it, he will make up for by choosing a powerful and effective cabinet, hopefully comprised of representatives from both parties. I hope that he chooses Colin Powell who has expressed that he may well be voting for him (and not because of his race, but because he is the best man).
I thank you for your enthusiasm, your input and your courage in voting for the man and not the party. This is an America for your generation and for Kevin and Zach that can look forward to new ideas, new sources of energy, education credits for those who "serve" their country, and more.
Thanks, Matt!
-Denise

 
At February 26, 2008 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Sailing Vessel Serenity NOW said...

Awesome idea...now let's go sailing!

 
At February 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Sailing Vessel Serenity NOW said...

Hey Matt:

Isn't it great to have a venue to discuss ones thinkings, ideas, etc. on politics and the like!! i am happy that Amina encouraged you to put your feelings and thoughts into a blog. I am really looking forward to engaging in what I'm certain will be a very open and spirited campaign this time around. Looking forward to reading more postings from you in the coming days and months as we head down the road to November.
Hoping for the Howard Dean meltdown by Clinton tonight. Love ya, Susan

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home